Friday, June 17, 2011

Volunteering and working for food/housing

I joined the website HelpX yesterday and sent a couple messages. I haven't heard back but it's only been one day :P

HelpX is similar to WWOOF (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms) with more variety in the types of places. There are listings for organic farms as well as backpacking hostels and ranches and several other things, and it it also worldwide.

My plans right now are stretching out more and more. There is a pattern making class at Portland Sewing in Portland, Oregon; I'd like to sign up for starting in mid-September (for 12 weeks). I will be looking for part time work and odd jobs in Portland but I need to wait until I arrive.

I'm also thinking about signing up for the volunteer program at Kripalu center for healthy and yoga. I went to a yoga class today I really enjoyed and I have contemplated signing up for this volunteer opportunity in the past but it hasn't fit into my schedule yet; it just may this time! Kriplau is in Western Massachusetts, so I will need time to get back there so I will apply for the May 1st start date to give me a few months to get there after being in Portland for 3 months.

As long as I can pay for gas, car insurance and my cell phone I should be good! (Food too, but it's possible to find cheap food... or eat less... or work in exchange for food/housing).


I'm off to play Scrabble and drink margaritas with my 2nd Cousin and her neighbor here in Oak Park, IL!

UPDATE (6/23/11): Found a new website for seasonal work CoolWorks, inculding but not limited to: ski resorts, national parks, retreat centers, etc.

Also there is an intentional community in Missouri called Dancing Rabbit which offeres the opportunity to do green building and live in a community. I'm not sure if I will apply there, but it's in the back of my mind. I may just wander for a while following seasonal work, so long as I can make enough money to keep my car running and insured!

No comments:

Post a Comment