Thursday, July 7, 2011

Chug Chug, moving along nicely!

Sore and feeling good and accomplished!

Today I got some help from Daniel. I had to run to the hardware store so I set him up with a couple tasks. When I got back and mixed up some mortar he was ready to go. I showed him what I know about laying block and we got started. We made good time today I’m pleased!

Dan and Me and the mortar bucket


Here's how far we got, Day 2 of laying block- the goal is 10 courses, the last one will be a bond beam which Brian will be helping out with (which is good cause I didn't think of it and I don't think I totally grasp how it's going to work!)

In the evening, Brian the Mason came by and cut some brick for the bond beam which he said he’d help with on Sunday. So we have until Sunday to complete 9 courses of block! With Daniel’s help, we’ll be able to get it done for sure :)


Brian the Mason (and neighbor), all-around awesome for giving advice, and tools, and materials, and time, cutting block for the bond beam. He has 25 years of experience, I try not to let him get to close a view of some of my joints :P

Mark (who helped yesterday) stopped by this morning and I bent his ear about helping with cutting wood for the shelves inside, so tonight I’m working on a cut list for that portion of the project. Materials should be arriving in a delivery tomorrow. Last night I was asked by Mike ( the guy who carrie din a few block yesterday) to come by his place and give some root cellar advice, so I’ll be doing that next Saturday. I also went to Sunny’s last night in downtown Howard Lake with my aunt Marienne and tried beer cheese soup (with popcorn) which was good, and very rich! I’m glad I just got the cup! The food was rich and delicious

Beer Cheese soup, "you're in Minnesota, you have to try it"
It was tasty!

As soon as we finished cleaning up and stepped inside uncle Jerry came calling "all hands on deck". Some cows got out and we were needed to wrangle them back in. Luckily by the time we got there the cows had wandered their way back into the field so Jerry stayed a bit and helped re-secure the fences. Just goes to show that life can be exciting on a farm, always something to do!

Brian the Mason offered to help with the corefill concrete as well so we're going to keep building up tomorrow after we Drylok (waterproofing paint) the exterior; I'd like to get it done before Daniel arrives in the morning. I woke up at 7:30 this morning, so that might not be a problem! I'm already tired and was thinking I didn't even have the energy to watch a movie! Well, really I wanted to play a boardgame but it wasn't in the cards tonight :P I did initiate plans to play Agricola and drink Mojitos on Tuesday though, that'll be fun! Now I need to get the perfect recipe for mojitos (ideally I'd find out from Giles at Hostel Tevere in Warren, VT- best mojiots ever!)

No comments:

Post a Comment